Everyone starts their own business for a reason. You have the drive, you have the knowledge and you’re ready to share your passions with the world. While it certainly helps to be an expert in your field, if you want to share your vision and talent with others you need to communicate what you do effectively to build a relationship with your audience and customer base.
The trouble is that if you’re say a fashion designer, IT professional or financial planner, you likely prefer to focus on what you know when building your business. Your skills and knowledge are valuable, but you don’t necessarily know how to communicate this.
While lots of people are okay writers and good communicators, if it’s not your area of expertise you’re really not able to put all your energy into it. It’s nice to be able to say you’re a jack of all trades and capable of doing it all, but sometimes you need to let go of the reins and let someone else drive for a bit.
While I’ve hinted at some already, here we go…
5 reasons to hire a writer
- You aren’t a writer – This is a big one. You choose your career or job based on circumstances, skills, education and drive. Writers do this, too. People who choose writing as a profession work at it. They study writing, grammar and pay attention to changing trends. Writers often have a creative mind, with the unique ability to put thoughts into the perfect set of words to capture the mood and message. If you’ve ever said to yourself, “I know what I want to say, but can’t seem to find the words,” that’s why you hire a writer.
- You don’t have the time – Workplaces are changing. Today many employees and business owners are wearing multiple hats – taking on several roles that used to be done by several people. If you’re building your business or trying to grow as a company, you’re likely quite busy. Your core services or products are your main concern. Ensuring you are delivering quality work to your customers and clients means you don’t have time to be the boss, innovator, marketing manager, social media guru and content writer at the same time. Hire a freelance writer to take on some of this burden.
- You need to reach a particular audience – It’s no longer enough to simply have a website (that never gets updated) and a Facebook page (that sporadically gets updated). You need to be pushing out new content regularly to ensure you are reaching your target demographic. Hiring a freelance digital content writer to update your website, craft clever social posts and write SEO-friendly blogs can make a huge difference.
- You want to find your voice – This one applies to new businesses or existing businesses looking to re-brand. Branding is more than an attractive logo, it’s a full overhaul of what your business is putting out into the world – be it print or digital content. Relaunching (or launching) a blog could be one way to find your voice and tell your audience who you are and what you do. A professional writer can help you streamline your content so it all works together.
- You need to update existing content – Not all writers are hired to write content from scratch. Sometimes you need a writer to collaborate with you on projects. Professional writers can do rewrites and substantive edits to improve existing content. They can also work alongside you in a supportive role, helping you produce content. You don’t have to scrap everything you’ve built. Sometimes you just need fresh eyes to make it better.
If you were nodding your head to any or all of the above, I invite you to reach out to me to discuss your needs. I’m a professional writer with over 10 years of experience writing blogs, articles, websites and more. I’m located in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area and offer my services remotely at your convenience.
Due to the present Covid-19 situation I will not be taking any in-person meetings at this time. I am available by phone, video chat and email. Contact me today!